Monday, June 7, 2010

Who doesn't want cake that has been frosted AND dipped in chocolate???


Sorry for the real lack of blogging lately. We lost Hersh and then I was finishing up my last class before break for school and there was so much going on that I simply failed to blog. And quite honestly, I failed to even cook for awhile. But, I have 6 weeks off of school which I am very excited about and I'm ready to get back at it!

Last week was our monthly Girls Night held at our friend Julie's house. The very first time I met Julie she was telling me about these Cake Balls she had tried to make once. They sounded so good so I decided to do some investigating and came up with the recipe. Although, there really isn't much to the recipe. I would say it's more method than anything. But I am sure that they are delicious to make and oh so easy. And as one of the girls put it last week, "Who doesn't want cake that has been frosted AND dipped in chocolate???"

They are also fun becuase you can experiment with them. The first time I made them it was chocolate all around, chocolate cake, chocolate frosting and chocolate, well, chocolate. This time however, I made a red velvet cake, used cream cheese frosting and dipped them in chocolate. So be creative and let your taste buds guide you!

Cake Balls
from Bakerella

Ingredients

1 box of your favorite cake mix (plus ingredients the mix calls for)
1 can of frosting
2 boxes of bakers chocolate squares

Directions

1. Bake cake according to package instructions and let cool completely. (Most times I am too impatient and only let it cool to the point where it doesn't burn my fingers)
2. Crumble cooled (or slightly warm) cake into a big bowl.
3. Add a can a frosting to the cake and work through with your hands (this is messy!!)
4. Once combined, roll the cake into tiny balls and place on a baking sheet. To prevent the cake from sticking to you, keep a small bowl of water handy and wet your hands slightly before rolling the cake.
5. Let the balls chill in the refridgerator for 4-5 hours or in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
6. Melt chocolate squares in a microwave proof bowl, watching to make sure you don't burn your cholcolate.
7. Dip the chilled balls in the melted chocolate using spoons and then remove once coated and place on wax paper to cool.
8. Let sit overnight or until hardened.
9. Die from happiness once you eat them!

Last Bite: These will be a hit no matter where you go. Make sure you save enough for yourself too! Also, I heard that you can freeze these and bring out just a few at a time...if you have that kind of willpower!!

No comments:

Post a Comment