Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chicken Saltimbocca = So Good!



Yesterday I had the day off of work and so I decided to try a recipe I have been thinking about for awhile. On the menu was Potatoes Gratin, Orange and Honey glazed Carrots and Chicken Saltimbocca.

The potatoes are from a Tyler Florence episode and are now a staple in our home…as they are delightful! Rich and creamy with the thyme giving them a nice earthy flavor. The recipe calls for Idaho potatoes but I like to use Yukon Gold potatoes. I think they are delicate and creamy in nature..and I just love them!

Next up --the Orange and Honey Glazed Carrots. These came from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa At Home cookbook. I was pretty disappointed in these carrots. Either I totally screwed them up…or they just didn’t produce the flavor punch I was after. Hey, I love cooked carrots as much as the next person….but ohhh…I was hoping for that sweet and citrus fruit zing of flavor I felt I was promised. To me, they just tasted like, cooked carrots.

And finally, for the crème de la crème! The Chicken Saltimbocca. This recipe was a combination of two recipes. Part of a recipe from my Betty Crocker “Italian” cookbook (yes, it sounds like a cheater Italian cookbook, and it probably it…but it has some yummy recipes in there!) and part from Giada DeLaurentiis “Everyday Italian” cookbook.

These little chicken wonders practically melted in my mouth. I’m not often a huge fan of chicken…mostly because I tend to always mess it up and it comes out dry and chewy. But this was one of the best chicken dinners I have ever made! ...just ask my husband :)



Here is my photo of Chicken Saltimbocca...no...not as appealing as the stock photo up top. I guess that is what happens when you are starving and your mouth is watering because this chicken smells so yummy! I promise to get better at taking pictures, but you see, I am much more interested in eating!


Chicken Saltimbocca

adapted from Betty Crocker's Italian Cooking

4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup all purpose flour
4 slices prosciutto
4 thin slices mozzarella cheese
Dried sage
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup dry white wine
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Lightly pound each chicken breast with a meat mallet to tenderize and to flatten slightly. Dredge lightly in flour and shake off excess. Layer 1 slice of prosciutto and cheese and sprinkle sage leaves on top. Roll up chicken and either hold together with toothpicks or butcher string.

2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken rolls in butter for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown. Add wine. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through.


Last Bite: Skip the carrots and go right for the chicken saltimbocca….and the potatoes are a pretty wonderful side too!

No comments:

Post a Comment