Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sweet Summertime

Ahhh....summer is finally here.  The sun is shining, the windows are open and the air is warm!  Oh how I have missed you!

To kick things off this summer we took Lucy to the circus last night!  The small town near us hosted a circus for the evening so we thought it would be fun to take Lucy.  It actually was a pretty nice circus, however Lucy was less than interested.  The only two things that made her smile all night was the small baby sitting next to us (she LOVES babies!) and the disco ball prop they used for one of their acts.  She actually started chanting "Ball!  Ball!" And then "Mo! Mo!"  (more).  Soooo, let's just say it was a good thing this was a small local circus and she was a free admit!

Lucy was clearing not into picture time!

I also want to tell you about an amazing meal I made earlier this week that just sings summer!  I made a Key West Style Tilapia and let me tell you...it was amazing!  One of the local restaurants in town serves key west style fish and I have been thinking about how to recreate it.  I wasn't really sure where to start so I did a couple of quick internet searches and then sort of did my own thing, as I often do.  It's a pretty quick assembly and doesn't take that long to bake.  If you can't find any tilapia, this dish would work really well with grouper or any other white fish.  It does call to be baked with white wine but I always get nervous feeding food to Lucy that has been cooked in wine so I did two separate pans.  In one I added the wine and for hers I added the juice from an orange.  Both turned out really delicious, but honestly, I almost liked hers better!  So feel free to play around with what works best for your family.




Key West Style Tilapia
Source: Lyndsay Original

Ingredients

8-10 tilapia fillets
Good olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-1 1/2 Tbs Lemon Seasoning (I used Weber Grill's Zesty Lemon)
3/4 cup white wine (or freshly squeezed orange juice)
8-10 pats of Earth Balance Soy Butter


Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Pour a glug or two of olive oil in the bottom of a baking dish. Place tilapia fillets in the baking dish and salt and pepper them. Add a bit of lime zest and minced garlic to each piece of fish.  Sprinkle lemon seasoning on top of your fish and then pour in the lime juice.  Add your wine (or fresh squeezed orange juice).  Top each piece of fish with a pat of butter.  Bake for about 15 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.  Enjoy!
 
I served our Key West Style Tilapia with some grilled asparagus and some roasted organic baby potatoes seasoned with thyme, garlic salt, rosemary and pepper.  Totally delish and totally easy!

Hope your summer is off to a great start too!

No comments:

Post a Comment