Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches


Wow....a lot has happened since the last post. Sorry for the huge delay in getting back on here. I have lots to tell you about but for today, I'll just give you a super delicious and very easy recipe.

Hopefully in a few days though I can get all my pictures around and show you my 30th birthday celebration which was a BLAST! And also, pictures from Pat's and my weekend get-away to Gatlinburg TN. Lots of fun stories there!

This time in my life is a bit crazy and a lot chaotic. I am working full-time and going to school. And while I love to cook, sometimes my schedule just doesn't permit a whole lot of extra time. Which is why I love my crock pot. Pat actually gave me my crock pot as a birthday present a few years back and I was ecstatic! Yes, that does sound like a bit of an odd gift, but I had been asking for someone, anyone to get me one for the past 2 years for Christmas, birthday, anniversary, basically anything I could come up with as an excuse to get a gift!

And now that I finally have it, I really try to make good use of it. Here is a great recipe I came across on the Food Network website. Now, I don't normally make any of Sandra Lee's recipes but this was is a must. I promise, people will go crazy over this...and it's just so easy!


Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Adapted from Sandra Lee

Ingredients

1 packet Hawaiian Marinade (recommended: McCormick Grill Mates)
1 Tbs smoked sweet paprika
1 tsp ground pepper
3 ½ pound pork shoulder
½ cup low sodium chicken broth
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
1 cup chili sauce
1 (6 ounce) can pineapple juice
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
8 hamburger rolls

Hawaiian Sauce
2 Tbs canola oil
1 Tbs ginger, chopped
2 tsp garlic, chopped

Directions

1. In a small bowl combine Hawaiian mix, paprika and pepper. Coat the pork with the rub mixture, patting until all the rub is used.
2. In a bowl whisk together the chicken broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili sauce and pineapple juice. Set aside.
3. Put the chopped onions and carrots in a 5-quart slow cooker. Place the pork on top of the onions and carrots and pour half of the pineapple mixture over the pork. Reserve remainder for Hawaiian sauce.
4. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. The meat should fall apart easily.
5. Remove the roast from the slow cooker to a cutting board. Using 2 forks carefully pull the meat into shreds.
6. Serve the pork on rolls drizzled with the Hawaiian sauce or on the side for dipping.

Hawaiian Sauce:

In a medium pot heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add remaining pineapple mixture, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.


Last Bite: The Hawaiian Sauce is the ticket. You almost want to drink it, it's so good. Pat and I liked dipping our sandwiches but be prepared to get a little messy. You won't mind though, and will soon be practically licking the dripping off the table, your fingers, your plate....(and when I say practically, I mean you will be!) Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment