Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Meatloaf My Way


Do you know that I have never made meatloaf in my entire life until recently? Sure I’ll try all sorts of complex things, but meatloaf? Never.

Then I realized the simple beauty of meatloaf. There is really no way to screw it up! I think you could really put whatever you wanted in a meatloaf and it would probably taste good.

This reminds me of the “Friends” episode where Rachel makes an English Trifle, but totally messes it up by combining two recipes accidently. While everyone was gagging theirs down, Joey of course loved it, “Cream? Good! Jam? Good! Beef? Good!!”

So I think the same rule could apply for meatloaf. I gave it a whirl and included some of my favorite ingredients and was pleasantly happy with the result. Pat is still trying to talk me into making this with venison…..but….I’m not sure I want to ruin the meatloaf!

I also made a side of dill potatoes with this dish too which were super easy and very tasty.


Meatloaf My Way

Ingredients

2 lbs ground turkey
2-3 cloves garlic
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup bread crumbs
1 onion chopped
4-5 sundried tomatoes chopped (I used the ones NOT in oil)
2 tsp red pepper flakes (or as much heat as you like!)
1 slightly whisked egg
Basil, Parsley, Salt and Pepper (I just eyeball this…use what you like here!)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Mix everything together in a large bowl until combined.
3. Spray non-stick spray in your loaf pan and then pour the meat mixture in. Press until even. 4. Coat generously with ketchup.
5. Cook for 1 hour or until cooked through.


Dill Potatoes
Adapted from Rachel Ray

Ingredients
1 ½ lbs Yukon gold potatoes, cut into chunks
2 Tbs butter
¼ chopped fresh dill
Salt and Pepper

Directions
1. Fill a large saucepan with cold water. Add the potatoes and place them over high heat. Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Drain and place the potatoes back into the pan on the burner for 30 seconds to dry them out. Add the butter and toss in the herbs. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.


Last Bite: I really liked this meatloaf! I thought it had great flavor and I really liked the subtle heat from the red pepper flakes. I really like the fresh taste the dill brought to the potatoes…I might even try a squeeze of lemon the next time I make them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment