Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pesto-Part 2


Yes, I love pesto so much that I am giving you another way to use this delicious stuff! With the weather a bit warmer and the sun out shining I feel the need for lighter, healthier food which is why I just love this little dandy!

This pesto stuffed salmon actually came to me by way of realtor's postcard in the mail. Although I'm probably not going to call the realtor, I was pretty excited to snag the recipe off the front of the postcard. I also thought it was a pretty clever marketing tactic.


Pesto Stuffed Salmon

Ingredients
Pesto (recipe below)
4 salmon fillets
2 Tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Pesto Sauce
2 cups fresh basil or spinach (pack these cups FULL!)
2-3 Tbs pine nuts, toasted
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, chopped (you can use less if you prefer)
2 tsp butter (feel free to leave this out...I try to...but I just can't!)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra if needed
Pepper and salt to taste

1. Combine pesto ingredients into a food processor and pulse until combined while drizzling in the extra virgin olive oil
2. Slice each fillet horizontally, stopping 1/2 inch from the edge. Open the fillets and divide stuffing mixture evenly between them
3. Close the fillets and brush with oil. Season with salt and pepper
4. Saute in a non-stick skillet and/or grill
5. Cook each side for about 5 minutes


I also served up some Spicy Sweet Potato Fries with this meal as well. But I bake my fries....makes them sound healthier doesn't it?? These fries are pretty easy but I will warn you...they always take me at least 45 minutes to an hour to make. Every recipe I read out there claims they are finished in about 20 to 35 minutes. That has never, not once, not when I am starving for food, been the case in my house. So brace yourself!

Spicy Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients
2-3 sweet potatoes, sliced into wedges
2 Tbs olive oil
Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, black pepper and salt (I sprinkle all of the above until I feel good about it...feel free to use as much or as little as you like!)

1. Preheat the oven to 450. Place your baking sheet in the oven while it preheats so it is hot.
2. Place the sliced potatoes in a bowl and coat with olive oil and seasoning. Make sure each wedge is coated
3. Remove your baking sheet from the oven and (carefully!) place the potato wedges in the sheet
4. Bake anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Flip potatoes occasionally.


Last Bite: This is a fairly easy yet very good meal! I really liked the pesto stuffed in the salmon. I haven't ever made it before, but it's a new favorite! Also...I always love these potatoes...they have just enough kick to make your upper lip sweat just a little....or maybe that's just me!

No comments:

Post a Comment