Thursday, June 9, 2011

Strawberry Bruschetta

Well...summer is finally here!  We spent last weekend at the lake house and I made sure to fully enjoy the warm weather and hot sun after spending so many days indoors this past winter with a newborn.  And now that summer is here, I am LOVING it!  I might love it a bit more if I actually fit into any of my old summer clothes but apparently I had a baby and they say when that happens your hips (meaning butt) gets wider!  Sooo.....guess I have to go shopping for more clothes....oh darn!



Foods like this may or may not contribute to the widening effect, but it's delicious and I just don't care!  The original recipe call for goat cheese which I am sure would be wonderful, however my husband can't stand the stuff so I decided to swap it out for spreadable brie cheese.  Mmmmmmm......it was a GOOD swap!

Strawberry Bruschetta

1 French Baguette, sliced diagonally, about 1/2 inch thick
1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
1/2 tablespoon raw organic sugar
4 ounces spreadable brie
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons good balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine strawberries, sugar and balsamic and some of the basil in a bowl and set aside.  Place the sliced bread on a baking sheet and drizzle a bit of olive oil on each slice.  Bake in oven until tops are golden, about 10 minutes or so, but keep a close eye.  Remove bread and let cool slightly before spreading the brie cheese on.  Then scoop the berry mixture on top of each slice.  Add a few more pieces of fresh basil to each and then gobble up immediately!  These are delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment