Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pho-real

So here's the deal....for the past year, this blog has contained really no meat at all.  I gave up meat (beef, poultry, pork) about a year ago and haven't looked back since.  I feel healthier (and AM healthier) due to the change.  However, when I made the switch I wanted to be flexible with myself and knew that I may potentially eat meat again, but it would have to be pastured, grass fed, organic meat.  We are lucky to have a poultry shop here in town that provides fresh and clean chickens.  On very rare occasions I will add a tiny bit of chicken to my diet (still no red meat or pork at this point).  As long as I know where it comes from, and treat it like a condiment (a flavor enhancer to my veggie based meal) then I am ok with it.

Around Christmas, Lucy and Pat both came down with the yucky flu that was going around.  We were lucky because neither of them got terribly sick, but I believe it's because I made sure to nourish them completely.  I made sure both got plenty of rest, lots of miso soup for Pat (and for me!) and this healing Chicken Pho.  The garlic and ginger are both so healing and we all know how comforting chicken noodle soup can be when you are sick.  This asian twist was just what my two sickies needed.  Both slurped up their bowls and asked for seconds.  Make this for the sick loves in your life...or just on one of those cold blustery days...it will heal your soul!



Chicken Pho
adapted from Eat Live Run

Ingredients

1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs fresh minced ginger
1 tbs toasted sesame oil
6 cups veggie broth
3 green onions, chopped
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs rice vinegar
1 bok choy, chopped
5 oz rice noodles (half package)
Sriracha sauce and cilantro for toppings (optional...but not really :))

Directions

Place chicken thighs in your crockpot with enough water to cover and cook on high for about 3 hours, until cooked through.  Remove chicken and shred.  Place in fridge until needed later.

Heat sesame oil over medium high heat in a large heavy-bottomed stock pot.  Add the minced garlic and ginger and briefly saute for about 30 seconds.  Add the bok choy and saute for another three minutes until the bok choy becomes tender.  Season with salt.

Add the veggie broth, green onions and reserved chicken thighs to the pot and bring to a simmer.  Cook for 15 minutes until the flavors have a chance to blend.

Meanwhile cook the rice noodles according to package directions.  Set aside.

Add the rice vinegar and soy sauce to the pho and stir.  Add the noodles to the pot and top with chopped cilantro and sriracha sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment