Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Book Club

So let's talk about books today!! It's sunny and a pretty spring day here, but my favorite days for reading are dark and gloomy rainy days.  Curling up on the couch with a blanket some tea and a good book are what I always wish for on those sorts of afternoons. Granted, I have little free time these days to lounge on the couch for an entire afternoon with my nose in a book....but that is my happy place for sure!  On my most frazzled days I remember back to my single and pre-baby life where I would spend countless hours engrossed in a book without a care in the world.  But then I remember those days I used to long to be married and have a baby  :)

So I thought that while I may only have time to squeeze my reading in now on my lunch breaks and right before bed, I would share some of my favorites!

 First up, Peace Like a River.  Now, I haven't read this book in a very long time, but I so loved it!  It was unlike any book I had previously read. It's a story on how faith, family, and a miracle or two can overcome anything. 














Next up, Shanghai Girls.  This was a surprising one for me as it's a fairly sad book, but it was one of those books that pulled me in.  When I wasn't reading I was thinking about the characters, wondering what I would do if I were in their place.  It's about two sisters living in Shanghai in the late 1930's when Shanghai was a glamorous and beautiful city to live in.  However once Japan starts bombing their wonderful city, their family is torn apart by war and betrayal.  The sisters face many trials, but stick together though it all.  There is a sequel to this book called Dreams of Joy, which I also enjoyed, however it was just as sad.















Ahhh, the Hunger Games.  I was a little late to the party on this one.  I had heard about it but truthfully, I thought it was a boy book.  The cover didn't appeal to me nor did the title.  Plus I had heard vague reference to it being set in the future which also was a turn off to me.  It wasn't until the first movie preview came out that I realized I might be missing something.  And missing something I was!  Holy moly I LOVED these books.  I loved them so much that I flat out ignored and neglected my family while I raced through the first book in a matter of 2 days (which is pretty good when you have a busy toddler in the house).  And then I was addicted, I had to keep reading.  My husband thought I had lost my mind until I convinced him to at least try reading the first one.  He isn't much of a reader, but he was hooked too!  I will say the first two books were my favorite of the series.  I though the last book got a bit horrific for my liking...although lets be honest...the whole thing is pretty brutal.  Once I finished the books I almost felt lost.  And I had NO idea what I could possibly read next that could even come close to being half as good as the Hunger Games were.  Definitely not a boy book :)

The Art of Racing in the Rain...what a great book!  It's told from a dog's (Enzo) perspective which is totally different, but oh so wonderful.  Enzo narrates his story explaining the difficulties of being a dog, i.e. no opposable thumbs and a tounge that makes drinking water difficult and speaking impossible.  All Enzo wants is to be human. In fact, he has watched specials on TV about how the Mongolians believe dogs come back as humans in their next life.  So Enzo works hard to be ready for his next life.  His owner is an unassuming yet lovable guy who loves to race cars and he and Enzo spend countless hours watching races on TV.  We follow along with Enzo's owner as he gets married and has a family, but see everything through a dog's eye.  It's both heartwarming and gut-wrenching.  I promise you will shed a tear...or sob like a baby, which is what I did.  But this is one of the few books with a great ending!




In my constant quest for the next great book, I have come across a few that I am sure would be wonderful, but honestly I don't know if I can bring myself to read them.  My mommy-heart has made me pretty sensitive on what I can and cannot tolerate.  But maybe you can convince me otherwise.  Although I am pretty convinced I should have read these before I had a baby....

Redeeming Love.  Everyone says this book is fantastic.  And I did read and excerpt from the book and was hooked.  But then I realized there was going to be a very dark period in Angel's life and I just couldn't read it.  I was upset just having an idea of what was about to happen.  I know this book is based on a biblical story...but again, this mommy-heart of mine isn't sure I can handle something like this.



Sarah's Key is another one.  It looks so good, but man...little kids and the Holocaust....not sure I can go there.


So those are just some of my favorites.  If you can convince me to add the last two to that list...I might think about it :)  Might being the word here.

What are some of your favorite books??

No comments:

Post a Comment