Friday, May 25, 2012

Keepin' It Real Fridays

I don't know about you but a lot of the blogs I read are wonderful...but sort of too wonderful.  Yes I enjoy their recipes and funny stories about their kids and cute pictures, sure.  However, they just never seem super real to me I guess.  I mean, is my kid the only kid that bucks the whole notion of "night night" and has to be rocked to sleep every.single.night?  Is my husband the only one who thinks spending 5 days straight laying mulch in our yard is a form of romance?

I get it, I do.  We want to put our best foot forward.  Show off our better side and make everything look all kinds of pretty.  And truthfully, most of the time life is pretty great. And I do appreciate the yard looking nice and getting in extra cuddles with my Lucy-girl.  But I feel like all these blogs I read live in the land of perfect.  Their house is always clean, their kids go to bed at 7pm and sleep through the night, beautiful and healthy meals appear on their table just in time for dinner and life is always wonderful.

Well folks, this just ain't that blog :)  Yes, life is wonderful...but it's also messy.  It's full of laughter, but it's also chock full of sleepless nights.  So here is the start of a new series, Keepin' It Real Fridays.  Mondays are for clean starts. But Fridays?  Fridays are for tossing in the towel and giving into the weekend.  Giving into the mess. Giving into poopy diapers and meals scrapped together from old popcorn and a bowl of cereal. 

I do want to preface that this new series may not actually run every Friday and you may see an addition on a Tuesday or none for like a month at a time.  Hey, I'm just keepin' it real.  So let's get started!

Does anyone's house look like a disaster after their kids go to bed?  Don't answer because if you say no I will cry myself to sleep tonight.  Our house very much looks like a category 5 Hurricane Lucy just passed through the area, leaving toys, blankies, sippys, snacks and books in her wake. Sure I could make her clean up her mess, and some nights I do try.  But honestly, I just want to get the kid in bed so I have 5 minutes to myself before I pass out on the couch.

Here is the scene at our house last night after Pat took Lucy upstairs to rock her to sleep.


This is the overview.  Please note the pile of stuffed dogs between the couch and the coffee table

Yikes...someone better fold those clothes!
The dog has all but given up and is now totally comfortable laying on a book and part of a baby shoe.
A rouge upside down snack container left in the kitchen for all the ants in the world to find.  




Part of keepin' it real is trying to get dinner on the table each night too.  Whether you are a working mama or a stay at home mama or just a busy lady in general, mealtimes can be rough.  So here is a real easy, real fast and real healthy meal for you.  We made it last night and while I thought it could have used more of a flavor punch, I was totally happy with how quickly it came together!  Oh and did I mention it's vegan?  Shhh...no one has to know :)

Tomato Basil Cream Pasta
adapted from Oh She Glows

Ingredients
1 lb uncooked spaghetti
1 large ripe tomato
3/4 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup water
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 15oz can of tomato sauce
2 Tbs olive oil
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup water or wine (I would recommend wine if not feeding little ones)
Lots of salt and pepper
1 cup packed fresh basil, julienned

Directions

--Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Chop tomato and add it to a food processor (or blender) including skin and seeds.  Add the cashews, water, tomato paste, 2 cloves of garlic and tomato sauce.  Blend until smooth

--Add your pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente.

--Meanwhile add olive oil to a large skillet and heat to low.  Add the additional minced garlic and saute for a few minutes careful not to burn.

--Pour the sauce from the processor to the skillet and stir, bringing to a simmer.  Add salt and pepper as necessary.  Let it cook for 4-5 minutes.  Add water or wine to thin out a bit if you wish to achieve your desired consistency for the sauce.

--Remove sauce from heat and add chopped basil.  Once pasta is done cooking, rinse and drain.  Add drained pasta back to pot and gradually add pasta sauce until your desired amount is achieved.

--Stir and serve immediately

Whoops...I did add some Parmesan....so not totally vegan anymore.  But-totally yummy!


Wishing you all a wonderful holiday weekend with lots of yummy food and time spent with the ones you love!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment